LASTPEW.ORG
Podcasting the Good News

Sermon Listing

Hear Sermon
(13:44)

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2008

Christmas Myth #2: Are Jesus and Santa the SAME Person?

So, are Jesus and Santa REALLY the same person? I mean, in every picture I've ever seen, they both have beards. According to PR they both appear to have the capabilities to do miraculous things AND they both seem to just know who's been naughty and nice. And, frankly, the Christmas Story has been so co-opted by advertisers and our retail culture that there seems to be confusion over who it is that is the main character in the Christmas Story. Recently, I watched one of those on-line video survey things that asked about a dozen random people what, at face value, seems to be a pretty simple question: "Can you tell me the Christmas Story?" I'd guess 75% said it was a movie, "...wasn't it?" The other 25% were pretty evenly divided between people who said the Christmas Story was about Santa bringing gifts to good little boys and girls and the birth of Christ, "...or something like that?" And, those that said Christmas was about the birth of Christ really weren't sure what that meant. Only ONE person in the video said that the birth of Christ had salvation implications -- and he, of course, was dressed like Santa Claus! Spoiler alert: This morning we'll explode the myth that Jesus and Santa are actually the same person -- but you already knew that, didn't you? (Permalink)

Speaker: Rev. Pat Sleeth   Scripture: Matthew 2:1-11




If you use iTunes or Zune software you can easily subscribe to this podcast by clicking on one of the following images.
iTunes Zune

You can also use any RSS program by pointing to http://lastpew.org/
Podcast/rss.xml
  RSS

Add to My AOL  Add to Google Add to My MSN Add to My Yahoo 

Don't feel left out if you don't use podcasting software, you can listen to the audio sermons through your web browser by clicking by each program.